Leg Workout Routine
Your legs have very strong muscles. No matter which leg workout routine you choose, you'll find that you can lift heavier weights during your leg workouts than with other routines. Not only that, but you'll often find that you can make bigger and quicker gains with your leg workouts. For example, over the course of a few months, you might find that you're increasing your weights on a weekly basis. When this happens, you really notice your legs taking shape!
If you apply the following leg workout routine, expect huge gains. The key is to use good form, and not to over train your muscles. You need to let your muscles rest in between workouts. Give them 3 or 4 days to rest before training them again. Follow up each workout with a protein shake and your legs will never be the same.
An effective leg workout routine can consist of the following exercises:
- Run or cycle for 10 minutes (to warm up your muscles)
- Squats - 3 sets of between 6 and 10 reps
- Leg Extensions - 3 sets of between 6 and 10 reps
- Calf Raises - 3 sets of between 6 and 10 reps
Every one or two months, try alternating between one of the above exercises and one of the following:
The number of reps you perform will depend on your fitness goals.
- If your aim is for strength or muscle size, perform between 6 - 10 reps
- If your aim is for muscle tone, perform between 10 - 15 reps
- If your aim is for aerobic fitness, perform 20 reps or more. For an aerobic workout, you don't really need to stick to this order. Your main focus is on raising your heartbeat - not lifting weights. Try jumping between these exercises and other muscle groups such as legs, chest etc. Also, try removing weights and perform between 50 and 100 sets of each.
Now, here's an important tip: Regardless of whether your leg workout routine is for muscles size, muscle tone, aerobic fitness, or cardiovascular make sure you incorporate variation into your leg workout routine. This will ensure your muscles continuously have new challenges and it will keep you from becoming bored with your workout routine.
To learn how to perform these exercises, read the Best Leg Exercises article.