Chest Workout Routine
Your chest muscles are a large part of your upper body. To achieve maximum results, your chest workout routine should include at least one compound exercise (to work your overall chest) followed as well as a more concentrated exercise. You can also single out either your upper chest or your lower chest if you need to.
The following chest workout routine should provide you with great results, however, if you're like me, your chest is a little stubborn. You might have noticed that on this website I continue to go on about the importance of variation. Well, I find that my chest responds to variation more than any other muscle group.
An effective chest workout routine can consist of the following exercises:
- Run or cycle for 10 minutes (to warm up your muscles)
- Flat Bench Press - 3 sets of between 6 and 10 reps
- Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of between 6 and 10 reps
- Parallel Bar Dips - 3 sets of between 6 and 10 reps (use a weight belt if required)
Every one or two months, try alternating between one of the above exercises and one of the following:
- Dumbell Flyes - 3 sets of between 10 and 15 reps. Although Flyes aren't normally known to be a big chest builder (they are more of a shaper), I have often found these really boost my chest size at times when my Flat Bench has plateaued.
- Cable Cross Overs - 3 sets of between 10 and 15 reps
The number of reps you perform will depend on your fitness goals.
- If your aim is for strength or muscle size, perform between 6 - 10 reps
- If your aim is for muscle tone, perform between 10 - 15 reps
- If your aim is for aerobic fitness, perform 20 reps or more. For an aerobic workout, you don't really need to stick to this order. Your main focus is on raising your heartbeat - not lifting weights. Try jumping between these exercises and other muscle groups such as legs, back etc. Also, try removing weights and perform between 50 and 100 sets of each.
Make sure you drink plenty of water during your chest workout routine.
To learn how to perform these exercises, see Best Chest Exercises.