Best Leg Exercises
The legs muscles are extremely strong. In my mind, the following exercises are among the best leg exercises for strengthening the various leg muscles - whether large or small.
Having said that, variety is the key, it's best to vary your exercises every 4 - 5 weeks if possible. After you've been using the same workout routine for a few weeks, the best leg workout is one that introduces a new exercise. After doing that, you'll really feel the burn!
Here are some of the best leg excercises for strengthening your leg muscles. These cover your whole leg, from quads to hamstring to calf.
- The Squat - Ah yes, the mighty squat. This is one of the best leg exercises. If, for some reason, you can only do one leg exercise in your leg workout routine, do this.
- Leg Press - Another exercise that's great for the quads, hamstrings, and glutes (your butt).
- Leg Extension - Where the squat, lunge, and leg press are great overall leg exercises, this exercise isolates your quads.
- Lying Leg Curl - This exercise isolates your hamstrings.
- Calf Raise - Isolates your calf muscles.
- The Lunge - Great for the quads and glutes (your butt). Also works a bunch of stabilizer muscles.
By performing the above exercises, you will be sure to see strong growth in your leg muscles.
Remember that your leg muscles are very large. When you perform your leg workout, you are using a lot of energy. Many bodybuilders won't exercise any other muscle group on the same day that they perform their leg workout (i.e. they do legs, and legs only). This allows them to put all their effort into their legs without having to conserve energy for another muscle group.
Anyway, now that you've seen some of the best leg exercises, you will need to integrate them into an an effective workout routine. To do this, check out the Leg Workout Routine.