The deadlift is a compound exercise for your back muscles.
How to perform the deadlift
- With the barbell on the floor, squat down and hold the bar at about shoulder width. Your back should be straight.
- Keeping your back straight, slowly lift the weight until you're standing straight.
- Hold for a second.
- Slowly lower the weight back to the floor.
- Repeat steps 2 - 4 until you've repeated the desired number of reps
|Number of Reps
For building muscle size: 3 sets of between 6 - 8 reps. For muscle tone: 3 sets of between 12 - 15 reps.
- Erector Spinae (Lower Back)
- Gluteus Maximus (Butt)
- Adductor Magnus (Inner Thigh)
- Quadriceps (Front Thigh/Quads)
- Soleus (Calf)
- Trapezius, Lower (Lower Traps)
- Trapezius, Middle (Upper Traps)
- Levator Scapulae (Shoulder - upper)
- Rhomboid (Back - Middle)
- Rectus Abdominis (Abdominal)
- Obliques (Side of Waist)