The chin up is a compound exercise for your back muscles.
How to perform the chin up
- Hang from the chin up bar with your hands slightly wider than your shoulders. Your feet should not be touching the ground.
- Slowly pull your body up until your chin is above the bar.
- Slowly lower yourself back to the starting position.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 until you've repeated the desired number of reps
|Number of Reps
For building muscle size: 3 sets of between 6 - 8 reps. For muscle tone: 3 sets of between 12 - 15 reps. Use weights if needed.
- Brachialis (Lower Biceps)
- Brachioradialis (Forearm)
- Biceps Brachii (Biceps)
- Teres Major (Outer Back)
- Deltoid, Posterior (Rear Delts)
- Infraspinatus (Rotary Cuff)
- Teres Minor (Rotary Cuff)
- Rhomboids (Middle Back)
- Levator Scapulae (Rear Neck)
- Trapezius, Middle (Upper Traps)
- Trapezius, Lower (Lower Traps)
- Pectoralis Minor (Chest)
- Triceps, Long Head (Triceps)